Yves Sakila latest probe details as it emerges ‘heartbroken’ family saw video online & emotional Henry Street vigil held
THE family of an alleged shoplifter who died after being detained by security workers saw a video of the horror — before realising who featured in it.
Shocking footage shows Yves Sakila, 35, being held on the ground outside Arnotts, on Dublin’s Henry Street, for almost five minutes last Friday.
He then became unresponsive — before later dying in hospital.
Cops are currently probing the Congolese native’s death, amid claims “excessive force” was used — with activists demanding “justice”.
Mulang Mika, of the Congolese Community of Ireland group, described the video of Mr Sakila being detained as “sickening”.
As a vigil was held on Henry Street today, he told The Irish Sun: “We could not believe the video. It is terrible, sickening.


“His family have watched the video. Actually Yves’ uncle watched the video not knowing it was his nephew on it.
“Then people started calling him saying: ‘That’s your nephew’. Yves’ uncle is in Dublin but most of the rest of the family are in Congo. They are absolutely heartbroken.”
Taoiseach Micheal Martin has called for the tragedy to be “thoroughly investigated”.
And in their first comments on the matter, Arnotts said they are “deeply saddened” by the death and “actively co-operating” with Gardai.
A statement added: “No loss of life should ever be the outcome of a retail security incident. We recognise the deep hurt and concern this tragedy has caused within Dublin’s Congolese community and among the wider public, and we take those concerns with the utmost seriousness.”
Arnotts also said they are “conducting a full review with the independently contracted security firm that provides in store security services”.
The Irish Sun has learned Mr Sakila was suspected of stealing a bottle of aftershave before being stopped by security guards outside Arnotts at around 5pm on Friday.
We have also learned he had a history of shoplifting — including previously swiping aftershave from Arnotts.
Mr Sakila was fined €110 for stealing perfume valued at €106 from the store last year — with the fine handed down on January 13 this year.
He also had a history of theft and robbery charges and being fined and imprisoned for short periods.
We have also learned that Mr Sakila had addiction issues.
Cops are awaiting his post-mortem results, which will determine the course of their investigation.
A source told The Irish Sun: “All the circumstances of this tragedy will be examined.
“It has been established that Yves Sakila had stolen aftershave before being stopped by security guards outside Arnotts. Post-mortem and toxicology results will determine the course of the investigation. Gardai are determined to get to the bottom of what caused Mr Sakila’s death.
“The reason why he became unresponsive needs to be conclusively determined.”
In a statement, Arnotts expressed “heartfelt sympathies” to everyone impacted by Yves death and stressed that “no loss of life” should ever result from a retail security incident.
They said: “Everyone at Arnotts is deeply saddened by the death of Yves Sakila following the serious incident that occurred outside our Henry Street store on Friday evening, 15 May.
“Our heartfelt sympathies go to his family, his friends, and the wider Congolese community in Ireland, who are grieving his loss.
“No loss of life should ever be the outcome of a retail security incident.
“We recognise the deep hurt and concern this tragedy has caused within Dublin’s Congolese community and among the wider public, and we take those concerns with the utmost seriousness.
“Arnotts is actively cooperating with An Garda Síochána in their investigations to determine the circumstances surrounding Mr Sakila’s death, and we are conducting a full review with the independently contracted security firm that provides in store security services for Arnotts.
“Arnotts cannot make any further public comment while the garda investigations remain active and we are committed to ensuring that the facts are established.”
Footage which shows Mr Sakila shouting in distress as he is being detained has been called “disturbing” by politicians and groups including The Irish Network Against Racism.
More than 100 people attended a vigil today at the scene of the incident on Henry Street.
Flowers were placed outside Arnotts as a woman from the Congolese community led the group in prayer, song and mourning.
Demonstrators chanted “justice for Yves”.
Chris Kibiadi, of the Congolese Community of Ireland, told us: “We are here to plead for justice for our brother who was killed.
“All of us have been deeply shocked by the death and the video of what happened to Yves. We are here to pay our respects to Yves and call for justice. This cannot be allowed to happen. It could happen to me, it could happen to you.
“We need justice for our brother. That’s what we are here for. Asking for justice and for this never to happen again.”
And John Kabongo, who addressed the crowd, told how his children were upset after watching the video.
He declared: “We’re asking for justice to be done. No matter where you’re from, black or white, this is not fair.”
The Sakila family today told The Irish Sun they want “justice served” in the case. And speaking to us from the Congo, younger brother Corneille hailed mourners who attended the vigil.
He told us: “We want to thank them for paying tribute to our brother, who passed away in tragic circumstances that have deeply affected our family. Yves will remain in our hearts as a loving, respectful, and vibrant person.
“His passing leaves an immense void and a pain difficult to express
“We will always keep his memory alive and demand that justice be served in his honour. Rest in peace, dear brother.”
Activists from the Congolese community have vowed to march on the Dail tomorrow.
The Taoiseach said his “deepest sympathies go out” to Mr Sakila’s family, adding: “The situation will have to be thoroughly investigated.
“I don’t want to prejudice the outcome of that investigation but I think a lot of people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired here.”
And the Justice Minister, Jim O’Callaghan, said: “I want to assure the Sakila family, and indeed the Congolese community in Ireland, that there is a very thorough investigation ongoing.”
Labour leader Ivana Bacik raised the case in the Dail, describing the video of the minutes leading up to Mr Sakila’s death as “distressing and disturbing”.
Two separate investigations are ongoing, one by Gardai and one by Fiosru, the police ombudsman.
Officers appealed for witnesses, or anyone with footage, to contact cops at Store Street Garda Station.